SCAD Sidewalk Arts Festival | 4.25.2015 | 10am- 4pm
Between Drayton and Whitaker streets
Chalk the walk
The paved walkways of Savannah’s scenic Forsyth Park spring to life at SCAD’s 34th annual Sidewalk Arts Festival. In a tradition nearly as old as the university itself, SCAD students, alumni and high school students create colorful chalk masterpieces and compete for coveted prizes.
An open-air art gallery
The sidewalk artists represent SCAD’s many areas of study, producing a diverse spectrum of chalk art inspired by distinct styles, backgrounds, interests, cultures and disciplines. See artwork from previous years
The festival is diverse too — this year, international cultural offerings, music and food vendors make this the perfect event for all ages.
Pictures come to life
Experience the art of tableaux vivants — or “living pictures” — at this year’s festival. In this type of display, actors and models depict a scene while remaining silent and motionless, as if in a picture. Particular emphasis is placed on staging, pose, costume, make-up, lighting and facial expression. The Sidewalk Arts Festival tableau vivant is created by SCAD staff, faculty and students.
Share your experience and follow the action with #scadchalk
Schedule of events
- Chalk distribution begins at 10 a.m.
- Pick up your chalk by 11 a.m. at the distribution tent. Unclaimed squares will be released if participants are not checked in by 11 a.m.
- You will be given a map to locate your square.
- You may begin drawing at 11 a.m. You are encouraged to begin on time to ensure quality work.
- Judging begins at 2 p.m.
- Results are announced at about 4 p.m.
For more information: SCAD Events